History of Archdale United Methodist Church

aumc1925September 6, 1925, Archdale Methodist Episcopal Church South was officially organized at the Fourth Quarterly Conference of Highland M.E. Church South of High Point, North Carolina.  Services were initially held in the Archdale Public School building.  Twenty charter members began the congregation under the founding pastor, the Reverend E.M. Jones.

The first Sunday School was held in the afternoon.  Attendance was fifty members and the collection was $3.01.  The average attendance that first quarter was fifty-five.  With the Rev. Jones, the attendance for Sunday School grew to 187 by 1933.

On Easter Monday, 1926, the trustees of the church bought the site on which the church now stands.  The foundation was laid in the spring of 1927.  The building was completed by November 1, 1927 and opened with a great revival meeting.

An eleven-classroom educational building was added in 1954 at a cost of $25,350.  A few years later, additional land was bought at the back of the church on Petty Street for further expansion. In 1961, the congregation felt the need for additional Sunday school classrooms. At that time $15,000 was put in the budget for the new building program and this was added to monthly. In spring, 1962, the building committee submitted plans for the new building which were approved by the congregation. The building was started in July, 1962, and finished in early December, 1962. This new addition cost in excess of $60,000 with the furnishings. The Fellowship Hall was enlarged and redecorated along with the addition of a new modern kitchen. At the same time, classrooms in the older educational building were painted and furnishings added.(April 5, 1963 Newspaper Article on opening(PDF), April 7, 1963 Newspaper Article on opening(PDF) )

On Sunday, August 14, 1966, the congregation approved plans for a complete remodeling of the sanctuary and the building of a steeple tower. A new parsonage was built in 1975 located at 3511 Garrell Street. The 2500 square foot home was dedicated on May 26, 1985. On Sunday, June 24, 1984, the congregation voted to purchase the Frank & Percie Payne property next to the parking lot across Petty Street. This piece of property was to give room to expand. The cost of the house (one of the oldest in Archdale) and lot was $64,500. The Payne house was demolished on September 13, 1988. On October 1, 1989, the church voted to purchase more property behind the present fellowship hall that connects with Freeman Place. A new fellowship hall was completed by late May, 1995.  On June 30, 1998, a storm tore off the roof of the educational building requiring a complete restoration of the educational building.  Sunday School classes met in mobile trailers and in the Fellowship Hall during the rebuilding months and the community open house for newly rebuilt and refurbished facility was held June 25, 2000.

The growth of the building and properties only begins to tell the stories of the growth of the faith this congregation’s witness to Christ through the years.  Through every conceivable situation of challenge, the church has sought to live the love of Jesus Christ to individuals, families and the community.

The following persons have served as Pastor: